Freight In Florida

Why Freight Matters?

Freight is the transportation of goods by truck, train, ship, plane, or spacecraft.

From agriculture to space shuttles to your morning coffee, freight impacts almost every facet of daily life. The broader wholesale trade, transportation and logistics industry is home to more than 70,000 companies, employing 630,000 Floridians.

In 2014, Florida passed New York to become the 3rd most populous state. Florida’s multimodal infrastructure now supports more than 20 million residents and over 100 million tourists annually.

From road to rail, to airports, seaports, and spaceports Florida will get your people, products and ideas to the world – fast.

Freight Vehicle Trends

Changing the Face of Freight

Boasting an extensive multi-modal infrastructure, powerful trade networks and one of the largest talent pools in the country, Florida offers the total package for all facets of the logistics industry. With the expansion of the Panama Canal, the time to embark on a future in Florida is now.

Why Florida Freight for the movement of your goods and services?

As a leading international trade center, Florida offers easy access to international markets, particularly Latin America. Goods valued at nearly $160 billion flow through Florida’s airports and seaports each year, and the state has the 2nd largest Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) network in the country.

Florida can help establish and boost your international business efforts. Miami International Airport is the largest U.S. gateway for Latin America and the Caribbean and is one of the busiest international passenger and freight airports in the world.

As the Western Hemisphere’s commercial gateway, Florida’s logistics & distribution industry is poised to grow further with the Panama Canal expansion. As it stands, Florida has the #2 Infrastructure in the U.S.1 and can help you get your products & services anywhere.

 

Visit our partner agencies to learn more about Florida’s role in international trade

Enterprise Florida EFI logo black

 

 

florida-chamber-logo

 

 

 

 

How does freight get to consumers?

With over 762 million tons of freight moving throughout Florida annually, we make this look easy.

The Citrus Supply Chain

Citrus is one of Florida’s most important economic industries. Florida leads not only the U.S. in both grapefruit and orange production, it also leads the world in grapefruit production and follows only Brazil in the production of oranges.

The total impact of citrus in Florida’s economy is approximately $9 billion a year.

Use our interactive guide to learn more about Florida’s role in the supply chain, and how we work deliver the freshest of citrus from the grove to your table.

11

Production

Starting in October, workers venture out into the groves to pick more than 7,000 pounds of fruit per day. They carry canvas bags over their shoulders and empty into pallet boxes that can each hold 900 pounds of fruit.

22

Transport

The citrus is then transported to the packing house where 5% of Florida’s orange crops get packed for sale as fresh fruits while the other 95% become orange juice.

33

Processing

Workers sort and inspect fruit and pack into containers that are designed to keep citrus products fresh, clean and wholesome. Truck drivers then transport the fruit, fresh citrus juice, and frozen concentrates to distribution centers.

44

Distribution

Florida’s transportation network of planes, trains, and ships distribute the citrus around the world, bringing Florida oranges & juice to domestic and international markets.

55

Retail

Citrus products are then available at retail outlets of all shapes and sizes – from convenience stores and neighborhood groceries, to large discount stores and warehouse outlets.

66

Consumer

The juicy fact is, citrus products deliver essential nutrients to children and adults, promoting good health and well-being throughout all stages of life.

Which Mode Suits Your Needs?

From air to pipeline, and everything in-between, Florida has the freight infrastructure to move your goods, your way.

Infographic 2